What to Look for When Renovating Your Pool
A swimming pool gets damaged over time, and it is often useful or even necessary to renovate it. For renovations, whether it is essential or you simply want to embellish your pool, it is advisable to call a professional. Here is a brief overview.
Renovation to repair your pool
This renovation is often made necessary after years of use of the pool. The first step is to make an “inventory of fixtures” that will help determine existing problems.
The most common problems encountered are:
– Leaks in the hydraulic system: a search for leaks with specialized equipment or by doing tests makes it relatively easy to locate the origin of the problem. Depending on the design of the pool and the location of the leak, it may be necessary to open part of the walls or the bottom of the pool.
– Micro-cracks or cracks in the structure of concrete pools: it is possible, after treatment of the cracks, to put the pool back into operation. In some cases, it may be imperative to install a reinforced membrane or glass fibre-reinforced polyester, for example. These will ensure that the pool is permanently watertight and give it a “facelift”.
– Blisters on the surface of shell pools: this phenomenon is well known as the osmosis phenomenon. A sanding, followed by the application of glass matting with resin and a gel coat finish, and your pool is left for 15 years of good and loyal service.
– The liner is no longer watertight: a change of liner is necessary.
– The tile joints are in poor condition: it is then necessary to redo the joints after a few years and replace the lost tiles. This renovation is easy, even if it is often difficult to find exactly the same tile.
– Changing a tile is also possible, even if it is a bigger job. Indeed, this requires (after demolition) a preliminary repair of the sealing compound.
Swimming pool renovation: to embellish or improve
Over the years, your pool will become obsolete, both aesthetically and technically. Indeed, new equipment is marketed every year, you can call upon a professional who will be able to advise you.
Among the possible renovations are the following:
– Replacement of a ladder by a stairway or an immersed beach if the dimensions of the pool allow it.
– Installation of an immersed roller shutter, which is much more aesthetic than an above-ground shutter and easier to handle than a cover.
– Installation of a heating system to extend the swimming season.
– Installation of balneotherapy nozzles in a shallow corner of the pool to create a relaxation and wellness area.
– Integration of a jacuzzi in the pool.
– Raising the bottom of a very deep pool and integrating an automatic bottom cleaning system.
This has the advantage of reducing the volume of water in the pool and therefore reducing the quantity of treatment products while benefiting from a powerful automatic cleaning system.
– Modification of the water circulation system by the creation of an overflow that will replace the skimmers. In addition to the technical benefit of the quality of the filtration, there is also an aesthetic advantage.
– Modification of the shape of the pool, creation of a terrace, a pool house…
Who should I contact for pool renovations?
All of the above renovations must be carried out by a professional who will be able to advise you on the feasibility of the planned renovation, taking into account the land, the structure of the pool, and the existing installation.
The cost varies according to work envisaged: from a hundred dollars to several thousand. Before committing yourself, it is, of course, necessary to obtain detailed estimates and compare them.