Category : Home Renovation
– Eco-renovation: its key advantages
– Characteristics of an Eco-renovation
Do you want to live in a healthy, comfortable, and ecological home? You may have decided not to remain passive in the face of environmental degradation, and you want to bring a positive impact on your environment. This post will help you understand the fundamentals of Eco-renovation.
Eco-renovation: its key advantages
Eco-renovation consists of adapting an existing construction to create a comfortable and healthy interior space, while seeking to reduce its impact on the environment, taking into account:
– the work carried out (low impact materials, heritage quality);
– the use of the house (heating, water, waste, travel).
There are several reasons for this:
– To adapt the existing system to current comfort requirements.
– To reduce the loads.
– Gain independence from fluctuations in energy costs.
– To improve comfort (no more “cold walls,” no unwanted air movements, etc.).
– Reduce the risks of damage to the building (condensation on or in the walls).
– Create activity in a high-potential area (wealth creation, jobs that cannot be relocated, etc.).
– Anticipate future thermal regulations.
– Responding to environmental issues:
◦ climate change;
◦ depletion of resources;
◦ risks to health and biodiversity (waste, nuclear accident, oil spill, etc.).
Investing in what already exists rather than building something new
The reasons can be various:
– Safeguarding agricultural land: currently, more than 1,000 m² of arable land is converted to urbanization every minute.
– To preserve and enhance the local heritage.
– Non-increasing local authority charges (networks, waste collection, etc.).
– The conservation of a village or district dynamic.
– Limiting the energy consumption of a building, which is mainly due to structural work.
Characteristics of an Eco-renovation
Take the time to design the project
Above all, it’s about taking the time to:
– Carry out an inventory of the existing building: the construction system and its specificities, the possible humidity problems to solve, the strong/weak points of the existing structure (inertia, orientation, the layout of the rooms), and the heritage elements that you want to preserve.
– Define the objectives of the renovation.
– To call upon the competent people.
Take into account the energy performance
Given current comfort requirements and the environmental impact of energy consumption, an Eco-renovation must take into account the house’s energy performance:
– Aim for the low consumption building-renovation level, which appears to be the most relevant.
– Give priority to insulation, air-tightness, efficient ventilation, and summer comfort (inertia, solar protection).
– Think about renewable energies (solar, wood, especially wood pellets).
Reducing the environmental impact of the work carried out
The manufacture and use of the materials in your renovation are not neutral from an environmental point of view. To reduce their impact, choose bio-sourced (mainly plant-based) or recycled materials, and if possible local.
Find the right balance between architectural quality, heritage preservation, quality of use (comfort and low loads), and control of environmental impact.
Important: Have an air-tightness test carried out during and at the end of the work: this is one of the best ways of checking the quality of the installation.
Look for quality
Use professionals with proven track records:
– Ask for references from construction sites similar to yours.
– Ensure that the home renovation professionals are aware of the issues involved in Eco-renovation and trained in the relevant fields.
Note: in the case of an old building, do not forget to take into account the behavior of the wall with humidity (capillary rise, opening to water vapor).
Do not forget:
– Air quality: use finishing products with low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) emissions and do not forget ventilation.
– Water management, whether it is rainwater or water consumption (use of foamers and water-saving showerheads).
To find out more about this:
– The Eco-loan is an ecological loan for energy-saving work in real estate. Find out more about its terms and conditions to lighten your budget. Hope this post helps you make your decision about Eco-renovation. Remember to leave your comments below.