Category : Home Renovation
The granite paving stone is made from a very resistant natural rock. Granite paving stone is very suitable for driveways, terraces, and borders. It is available in various shapes, thicknesses, and standards.
Other types of natural stone paving stones are sandstone paving stone, the bluestone paving stone, porphyry paving stone, quartzite paving stone and reconstituted stone paving.
This post talks on the aspect of granite paving stone and in the end, you will be able to get an idea of which type of paving stone you are actually looking for.
Criteria for choosing granite paving stone
Granite paving stone is generally square or rectangular. The lightest of them contain quartz and feldspars; their density is lower than the darker pavers which are richer in ferromagnesian minerals.
When choosing a granite paver for a driveway, the granite paving stone must be at least 6 cm thick and 8 cm thick if there is a heavy vehicle passage. To benefit from road marking, paving stones must be more than 5 cm thick. In some states, the standard applies to new paving stones and not to reclaimed paving stones.
Several finishes of granite paving stones: flamed, cleaved, old…
Different finishes are possible depending on the aspect you want. Do not hesitate to ask a paver for more information: the finishes vary according to the manufacturers, suppliers and the origin of the paving stone.
Granite paving stone: which finish?
– The stone is passed under a machine with aligned heads that move over the granite.
– The result is an appearance made up of small hollows and bumps.
– The stone was subjected to a high-temperature flame.
– The stone bursts on the surface giving a rough, non-slip appearance.
– The color of the stone is enhanced.
– The granite is cut using a machine that includes large “guillotine” style knives, respecting the direction of orientation of the crystals contained in the granite.
– The result is natural, slightly rough.
– Recovered or shaped, the wear is natural or natural-looking.
Laying granite paving
Granite paving stone is ideal for outdoor use because of its resistance, but also because of its timeless aesthetics.
It can be laid in alleys, along borders and why not to underline a massif, combined with luminous paving stones.
Price of granite paving stone
Prices include VAT, excluding installation and delivery. They will also depend on the size and thickness of the paving stone. In total, between $25 and $50 per m².
Hope the above helps you out in choosing your granite paving stone. For more information and tips, jot down your comments in the section below.