The Benefits of Skylights in Your Home
Category : Home Renovation
Have you ever walked into a room and had the feeling that it is both comfortable and inviting? You can’t figure out why, but you are drawn to that room, and because of it, you choose to spend most of your time there? The next time that happens, look around. You will probably find that your sense of well-being stems from the natural light that floods into the room. One of the most popular ways to introduce light into your home is by way of skylights.
What Is A Skylight?
A skylight is a window set in the roof at the same angle as the ceiling. This window’s purpose is not to provide a view, but to allow natural sunlight to shine into the room.
The Benefits of Skylights
There are numerous benefits to being surrounded by natural light. Installing a skylight in your home or business will not only change the aesthetics of the room but the atmosphere as well. Let’s have a look at a few benefits of skylights:
- Skylights increase the amount of natural light in a room, which makes even the smallest room look bigger.
- You will find yourself using less electric lighting and your utility bill will decrease.
- They are a huge selling point for potential home buyers; natural light is a must.
- They light up dark spaces that cannot access natural light, such as dark hallways or bathrooms in the middle of the house that don’t have windows.
- They come in various shapes and sizes.
- When skylights are installed in work and school environments, you find happier, healthier, and more productive employees and students. Even shoppers in malls with skylights tend to hang out longer and as a result, shop more.
- Properly designed tempered glass skylights, with low-emissivity (low-E) coating, are cooler than electric lights, screening out 99 percent of the sun’s heat and ultraviolet (UV) rays while providing excellent lighting.
- You decrease your carbon footprint. Installing skylights is better for the environment; no artificial light can compare to the quality of natural light.
- The natural sunlight that a skylight provides is good for your health. It is known to reduce stress and anxiety by providing your body and mind with much needed Vitamin D3, which can only be synthesized by your body absorbing some rays.
Why Must A Roofing Contractor Install Your Skylight?
All the benefits of a skylight won’t matter if it is not professionally installed and maintained by a roofing contractor specializing in skylights. These contractors will know how to:
- Install the skylight without compromising the roof, keeping the structural integrity of the roof and building intact.
- Seal the skylight properly, it must be leak-proof during even the heaviest of rains.
- Use the glass specially designed to withstand impact. If the skylight does not have double glazing (the second layer of tempered glass) then it is not up to current code regulations.
- Explain the costs involved to install and maintain the skylight. Skylights need regular wear-and-tear maintenance. A leaking skylight, depending on the severity, can cause major damage to your furniture and floors.
- Meet all the relevant building codes in regard to windows and doors.
Do you want the rooms in your home warm and inviting? Do you want to lighten darker areas of your home naturally? Do you want to decrease your carbon footprint? A skylight is an answer. Daylight Skylights is a name you can trust, since they have been in the roofing business for over 35 years. Give them a call today for genuine, reliable advice and a free estimate, and see how they can transform your home today.