A kitchen wouldn’t be complete without its cabinets. It is one of the rooms where organized storage is most essential. Workspace is essential; utensils, dishes, and other tools are in large quantities. When it comes to choosing your kitchen cabinets, you need to make sure you think of everything to design a pleasant and functional space. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn some of the things you need to know about kitchen cabinets.
1. Your needs
What will your cabinets be used for? Just a few cutlery, utensils and pots or a whole bunch of food processors. Do you have three different types of wine glasses or an endless collection of mugs? Do you need a cupboard to store food? What size? Count your possessions.
See which ones will fit in your cabinets. The number of cabinets and their size will vary according to your needs. So will their layout in the kitchen. Your storage needs will probably change over the next few years, so plan for that too. Arrange your cabinets according to your priorities:
- Pot and pan cabinets close to your stove.
- Daily dishes that are immediately accessible.
- Infrequently used equipment at the back of the cupboards.
- Heavy appliances are stored on lower floors for safety.
2. Available space
The space available is the first criterion to consider when choosing your kitchen cabinets. To gain maximum storage space, take advantage of the height from floor to ceiling. In other words, you can use all the empty wall space (without doors or windows). Also, consider the space required for your large equipment: oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc. Keep one surface as a work surface. The rest can be used for your kitchen cabinets.
3. Versatile and functional cabinets
Next, your kitchen cabinets should be practical and functional. When you’re cooking, you need access to everything you need. So, your cabinets should be thought out and arranged to meet your daily requirements. For example, you can install pull-out shelves in particularly deep closets. This way, you can easily access the stuff stored at the bottom. Likewise, consider a turntable to store your spices. Also, choose the direction in which your cabinet doors open according to your habits.
4. Evolving closets
Fourth, keep in mind that your needs may change over time. The best thing to do is to opt for evolving closets. The idea is to have built-in closets, which you can easily modify if needed. Also, plan for extra storage space for your future kitchen acquisitions. In practice, scalable kitchen cabinets will match your current needs while adapting to your changing needs. For example, opt for adjustable-height shelves. Also, choose drawers with removable compartments.
5. The choice of materials
Regarding materials, you have a wide choice:
- Wood: natural and authentic; it is expensive and requires careful maintenance.
- Polyurethane lacquer: with a satin or gloss finish, it offers a very chic look. This expensive material is easy to maintain.
- Acrylic: this glossy finish is reminiscent of glass but at a more attractive price. More constraining, it fears scratches.
- Laminate: more robust and resistant, it also offers a varied range. An excellent quality-price ratio easy to maintain.
- Melamine: imitating wood, there is a wide variety of colors and graphics. An aesthetic and affordable option that is easy to maintain.
- Polymer: matte or glossy, it imitates wood. Easy to maintain, it is a good value for money.
To find out everything you need to know about renovation and landscaping, visit a specialized site or ask a construction expert for advice.
6. What colors for your kitchen furniture?
Finally, this last point is mainly aesthetic. To create a harmonious layout, you will need to choose the colors of your cabinet doors to match the rest of your kitchen: floors, walls, other furniture, etc. And above all, pay special attention to the handles: the detail that will make the difference!
Looking for help?
Are you in Montreal? Are you looking for a professional to renovate your kitchen? Then look no further than Kuccina Design. With over 15 years of experience in the industry, they are the leaders in countertop and cabinet installation. They also provide a broad range of cabinetry, countertop, and woodworking services in Montréal, Laval, Longueuil, and the surrounding areas, and they use quality materials for all their projects. So, what are you waiting for? Give them a call or visit their website for more information!