Category : Home Renovation
Do you need to relax when using your bathroom? Choose a Zen decoration to transform your bathroom into a real cocoon of well-being. If Zen is a philosophy originating from China, in decoration it is characterized by simplicity and harmony. A Zen bathroom is a true haven of relaxation and peace, with soft colors, natural materials, and soft lighting.
In this post, we will go through the following:
– What materials for a Zen bathroom?
– Furniture and sanitary facilities in a Zen bathroom
– Lighting and colors for a Zen bathroom
– The right decoration in a Zen bathroom
What materials for a Zen bathroom?
Natural materials are your best allies in a Zen bathroom, whether it is for flooring, walls or furniture.
– Wood is the Zen material par excellence. It is available in many species and can be raw, painted, already varnished or oiled. It must always be treated to resist bathroom humidity unless it is an exotic wood that is naturally rotproof (teak, ipe, iroko, etc.).
– Bamboo is ideal as a floor covering, but also for furniture and decorative objects. Naturally resistant, bamboo absorbs moisture without deforming or moulding, it is also easy to maintain.
– The sea rush (aquatic plant of the grass family) is woven into a floor covering. Very resistant, insulating and perfectly adapted to humidity, it contributes to creating a zen and warm atmosphere.
– The pebble covering, which takes the form of slabs of different sizes and thicknesses, covers the floor and walls. In addition to massaging the soles of your feet, it gives your bathroom a 100% natural look.
Note: For wood, choose furniture with an FSC label, guaranteeing that it comes from a sustainably managed forest.
Furniture and sanitary facilities in a Zen bathroom
Here again, it’s all about sobriety! Put aside too massive furniture and favor light wooden furniture, discreet and unadorned, which will allow you to store everything. A Zen bathroom is a place where everything is smartly and neatly arranged. If necessary, choose hanging furniture that visually lightens the space, frees up floor space and makes cleaning easier.
On the sanitary side, an Italian shower, with its shower tray flush, is ideal. It also adopts natural materials and opens onto the bathroom. And if there is enough space, the bathtub can be installed in such a way to make it feel like on an island, without curtains in the bathroom to add a touch of charm. You can have green plants near the windows in the bathrooms to allow for privacy and discretion.
Good to know: Waterfall taps, which let water flow like a waterfall in the bathtub or basin, are perfect for a Zen bathroom.
Lighting and colors for a Zen bathroom
The lighting must be soft and dimmed. Place simple wall lights or discreet recessed spots in the corners of the room, always favoring indirect lighting. The only more direct touch of light will be the mirror, which is essential for hair, make-up, and shaving. Do not hesitate to choose a bright model, while remaining simple.
Decorative advice: vanilla candles will help to create a relaxing atmosphere.
Colors to be favored in a Zen bathroom
On the one hand, the Zen bathroom favors monochrome colors in light tones: white, grey, beige. Or pastel shades reminiscent of nature, such as green or blue. On the other hand, bright colors such as red or yellow are avoided.
The right decoration in a Zen bathroom
If you can arrange here and there some decorations reminiscent of Zen influences, avoid the overflow of bibelots or decorative elements, contrary to the Zen spirit. Towel rails, soap dishes, trash cans, and other accessories will also be adorned with natural materials: wood, bamboo, etc.
To bring nature into a Zen bathroom, arrange a few moisture-loving green plants, such as fern, ivy or ficus. Plants provide a calming effect with their soothing green colors while providing fresh oxygen at the same time. Bonsai trees, for example, make a good choice and are often included in zen décor. However, avoid flowers that emanate too strong scents. And, if you won’t have enough time to water your decorative plants regularly, there are still artificial plants that imitate natural ones very well. The basic idea in the Zen attitude is to make the atmosphere feel light – the interior design should reflect balance, harmony, and relaxation even if you have recourse to some artificial plants.
White or any light-colored parquets will match the décor.
But also any massive wooden flooring is the safest choice the moment it matches the rest of the room. There is no defined rule when choosing your colors; you have to keep in mind that the overall setting is Zen.
You will find everything you need to equip a Zen bathroom in DIY and decoration stores, specialty stores and on the Internet. For more information and tips, jot down your comments in the section below.